Latest update for IChO 2018
Scroll down to check the medal winners!
Irish Chemistry Olympiad
The Irish Chemistry Olympiad (IChO) is a competition for Irish students in the final year of second level education who are under twenty on December 31st in the year of the competition. It is held annually in Dublin City University (DCU). Students from Northern Ireland (NI) and the Republic of Ireland (RoI) are invited to take part in the competition.
In 2017, Team Ireland won 3 Bronze medals at the 49th International Chemistry Olympiad in Thailand. Full details can be seen at IChO Archives.
Irish delegation at International IChO2017
Update 28th February 2018: Competition postponed – it will be held on 10th March 2018 in DCU. Due to the current weather conditions, the DCU campus is closed this weekend.
Update 27th February 2018: Due to the current uncertain weather conditions, a decision will be made on Thursday 1st March 2018 re possible postponement of the competition. List of finalists is available here.
To participate in 2018 competition, Registration Form is available here.
Selection Round 1 competition will take place on 10th March 2018 in Dublin City University.
All schools are invited to nominate up to two of the most enthusiastic and keenest students in the school in chemistry.
Please complete form before Wed 28th Feb 2018.
The list of accepted registrations for the 2018 competition is available here. If you entered and your name does not appear here or if your name is mis-spelt, please send email before Tuesday 6th March to firstname.lastname@example.org
Schedule for 10th March 2018:
|10:00 – 10:45||Registration (Business School)|
|11:00 – 12:30||Paper 1 (Business School)|
|12:30 – 13:00||Break|
|13:00 – 14:00||Paper 2 (Business School)|
|14:00 – 15:00||Break|
|15:00||Medal Presentation Ceremony (T101) – All welcome!|
Fax: 01 7005503
List of Finalists
The list of finalists for IChO 2018 is available in IChO 2018 Finalists.
Highly Commended Students
- Maxim Chopivskyy – Colaiste Criost Ri, Cork
- Cian McDonnell – Crescent College Comprehensive SJ, Limerick
- David Naylor – St. Muredachs College, Mayo
- Larry Brazel – St Augintines College, Waterford
- Emma Costello – Wesley College, Dublin
- Alice Decaminada – St. Andrew’s College, Dublin
- Marina Politis – Sandford Park, Dublin
BRONZE MEDAL WINNERS
- David Bonner – St Columba’s College, Donegal
- Neil Curtis – Davis College, Cork
- John Martyn – St. Muredachs college, Mayo
- David McSharry – Pobalscoil Neasáin, Dublin
SILVER MEDAL WINNERS
- Philip Krause – Ashton School, Cork
- David Byrne – St Louis Grammar, Antrim
GOLD MEDAL WINNERS
- Nicholas Pochinkov – St. Gerard’s School, Wicklow
- Erin Fitzsimons-West – Assumption Grammar School, Down
All medal winners will be invited to participate in Practical Training and after a further assessment, the top students will be selected to represent Ireland at the IChO 2018 (July 19th – 29th) in Slovakia & Czech Republic.