Irish Chemistry Olympiad
The Irish Chemistry Olympiad (IChO) is a competition for Irish students in the final year of second level education who are under twenty on December 31st in the year of the competition. It is held annually in Dublin City University (DCU). Students from Northern Ireland (NI) and the Republic of Ireland (RoI) are invited to take part in the competition.
- Should be sitting the Leaving Certificate or A-Level examination in 2019.
- Should be expected to get the highest marks in Chemistry from your School.
- Must register on-line at http://castel.ie/icho-2019-form/ or return the completed Application Form before 25th February 2019
- The selected students will be invited to take part in a test in DCU on Saturday, 2nd March 2019
- Certificates of participation will be awarded to all participants.
The winners along with a Highly Commended panel will be invited to attend further training in DCU over the Easter break from 15th – 17th April, 2019. The final team will be selected during this time and further training will take place at the end of June/beginning of July.
In 2017, Team Ireland won 3 Bronze medals at the 49th International Chemistry Olympiad in Thailand. Full details can be seen at IChO Archives.
Irish delegation at International IChO2017
To participate in 2019 competition, Registration Form is available here.
Selection Round 1 competition will take place on 2nd March 2019 in Dublin City University.
All schools are invited to nominate up to two of the most enthusiastic and keenest students in the school in chemistry.
Please complete form before Mon 25th Feb 2019.
The list of accepted registrations for the 2019 competition is available here. If you entered and your name does not appear here or if your name is mis-spelt, please send email before Tuesday 26th February to firstname.lastname@example.org
Schedule for 2nd March 2019:
|10:30 – 10:50||Registration at Stokes (Engineering) Building|
|11:00 – 12:00||Paper 1|
|12:00 – 12:30||Break|
|12:30 – 14:00||Paper 2|
|14:00 – 15:00||Break|
|15:00||Medal Presentation Ceremony – All welcome!|
Fax: 01 7005503
List of Finalists
The list of finalists for IChO 2019 is available in IrChO 2019 Finalists.
Highly Commended Students
- Mati Karski, Coláiste Éanna CBS – Rathfarnham, Dublin
- Glenn Gilmartin, Institute of Education – Leeson St Lower, Dublin
- David Kennedy, Gaelcholáiste Luimnigh – Sir Harry’s Mall, Limerick
- Ishita Solanki, St.Louis High School – Rathmines, Dublin
BRONZE MEDAL WINNERS
- Ellen O’Carroll, Presentation Secondary School – Loughboy, Kilkenny
- Conor Boylan, St. Mary’s CBS – Enniscorthy, Co Wexford
- David Conneely, St. Joseph’s College – Nun’s Island, Galway
- Auriel Guarino, Coleraine Grammar School – Coleraine, Co Londonderry
SILVER MEDAL WINNERS
- Conal Bonar, Saint Eunans – Letterkenny, Co Donegal
- Mark W J Crawford, Dalriada School – Ballymoney, Co Antrim
GOLD MEDAL WINNERS
- Brian Durkan, St. Muredach’s College – Ballina, Co Mayo
- Oisin McCullagh, St Patrick’s College Maghera – Maghera, Co Derry
All medal winners will be invited to participate in Practical Training and after a further assessment, the top students will be selected to represent Ireland at the IChO 2019 (July 21st – 30th) in Paris, France.