Chemistry Olympiad Ireland 2022
The Chemistry Olympiad Ireland (ChOIRL) is a competition for students located in the island of Ireland in the final year of second level education and who are under twenty on December 31 in the year of the competition. Students from Northern Ireland (NI) and the Republic of Ireland (RoI) are invited to participate in the competition.
For 2022, the National Finals of ChOIRL are hosted over two rounds (Round 1a and 1b):
- Round 1a took place online as a multiple-choice (MC) quiz on Saturday, January 29, 2022 from 11 am to 12.30 pm. Round 1a was open to all eligible students (see criteria below) who wished to partake. Question topics were chosen from all areas of Chemistry, with the difficulty mostly based on Chemistry topics of the Leaving Certificate, A-Levels and IB Chemistry curricula.
- Round 1b will only be offered to the top students selected from Round 1a. It will consist of a written exam most likely run remotely on March 5, 2022 (TBC). It should be noted that this will be subject to governmental Covid-19 guidelines in operation and may be subject to change. A list of the finalists can be found here.
The overall winners of ChOIRL will be announced on March 12, 2022. The following awards will be presented:
- Gold, Silver & Bronze Chemistry Olympiad Ireland (ChOIRL) Medals and Highly Commended Awards
- Should be sitting the Leaving Certificate, A-Levels or International Baccalaureate in 2022.
- Should be expected to get the highest marks in Chemistry from their School.
- Completed registration needs to be submitted before 5 pm on January 27, 2022:
- Digital certificates of participation will be awarded to all those who complete Round 1a and 1b.
National award winners will be invited to attend training for the International Chemistry Olympiad (IChO) remotely and/or in person in Dublin over the Easter break (Round 2). The final team of 4 students to represent Ireland at the 54th International Chemistry Olympiad IChO 2022 will be selected following a further, final examination at the end of the Round 2 training. IChO 2022 is currently scheduled to take place at Nankai University in Tianjin, China from July 10-18, 2022: https://icho2022.nankai.edu.cn/. Note that IChO 2022 may be held remotely, like the 2020 and 2021 competitions, if government restrictions in China due to the Covid-19 pandemic dictate otherwise at the time leading up to the dates of the competition.
Further training to prepare the team for the international competition will take place in late June and early July for the four, successful, selected student participants of Team Ireland. The details of this training programme will be issued by the Organising Committee in June 2022.
ChOIRL Organising Committee 2022:
Dr. Carl Poree, University of Manchester (UoM) – Co-Chair
Dr. Brian Murphy, Technological University of the Shannon: Midlands Midwest (TUS) – Co-Chair
Dr. John O’Donoghue, Trinity College Dublin (TCD) and Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC) – Secretary
Dr. Nessan Kerrigan, Dublin City University (DCU) – Treasurer
Dr. Odilla Finlayson, Dublin City University (DCU)
Dr. Pat O’Malley, Dublin City University (DCU)
Dr. Cormac Quigley, Atlantic Technological University (ATU) (from April 1, 2022)
Dr. Elizabeth Gilchrist, University College Cork (UCC)
Funding gratefully acknowledged from North/South Cooperation Section, Department of Education, Government of Ireland (https://www.gov.ie/en/organisation-information/dcf941-international-co-operation/)