Guest Speakers for SMEC 2016 have been announced. These include:
- Prof. Thomas Guskey, College of Education, University of Kentucky
- Prof. Shirley Simon, UCL Institute of Education
- Dr. Sara Hennessy, Reader in Teacher Development and Pedagogical Innovation at the University of Cambridge
- Dr. Andreas Stylianides, Lecturer in Mathematics Education at the University of Cambridge
- Dr. John O’Reilly, Lecturer, University of Limerick
(l to r) Prof. Thomas Guskey, Prof. Shirley Simon, Dr. Sara Hennessy, Dr. Andreas Stylianides
STEM Teacher Education – Initial and Continuing professional development is the 7th Science and Mathematics Education Conference (SMEC). Hosted by the Centre for the Advancement of STEM Teaching & Learning, CASTel, of Dublin City University, this international conference provides an opportunity for those interested and involved to discuss issues pertaining to STEM teacher education from early childhood to third level.
The main themes of this year’s conference include:
- Initial teacher education; including professional knowledge of teachers; teaching and learning in initial teacher education; relating theory to practice; and issues related to teacher education programmes, policy and reform
- In-service education; including in-service education and training; curricular reform and new programmes
- Continuous professional development for all teachers; including teachers as lifelong learners; methods and innovation in professional development; evaluation of professional development practices; and reflective practice, teachers as researchers, and action research.
Registration is open and available at https://www4.dcu.ie/smec/register.shtml