Latest update for IrEUSO 2017
Scroll down to check the medal winners!
Welcome to the competition site for IrEUSO 2017-18.
The 2017-18 IrEUSO is for students born on or after 1st January 2001. Letters & Registration Forms have been sent to the schools of qualifying students (based on their Junior Certificate Examinations results in Maths & Science). ONLY students who have received an invitation may participate. Substitutes or replacements are not acceptable. Only students in Transition Year (TY) or in Fifth (5th) Year may take part in the IrEUSO competition.
The Irish European Union Science Olympiad (IrEUSO) is an individual, subject based (biology, chemistry or physics) science competition for students who are sixteen years of age or younger on the December 31st prior to the competition. In order to prepare for the tests, students are encouraged to read around their chosen subject area. Students will be presented with material that they may not have met in school but they are required to use their scientific reasoning skills, problem-solving abilities and knowledge to solve the problems.
All participants at the IrEUSO receive a certificate. The top three students are awarded gold medals, the next three silver and the next six bronze. All medal winners will be invited to participate in Practical Training in February/March and after a further assessment, the top six (6) students will be selected to represent Ireland at the EUSO 2018 (28th April – 5th May) in Ljubljana, Slovenia.
Please complete and submit your application form to the address indicated on the form by Monday 16th October 2017.
The list of finalists for IrEUSO is available HERE.
IrEUSO competition will take place in DCU on Saturday 11th November 2017. Timetable is available HERE.
Click HERE for frequently asked questions.
List of Finalists
The list of finalists for IrEUSO 2017 is available in IrEUSO 2017 Finalists.
Highly Commended Students
- Amy Mc Loughlin – St. Joseph’s Secondary School, Mayo
- Aisling Baragry – Holy Faith Secondary School, Dublin
- Evan O’Sullivan – St. Patrick’s Classical School, Meath
- Séadna Mac Aoire – St. Augustine’s College, Waterford
- Ceri Arnott – Wesley College, Dublin
- Robert Staunton – St. Patrick’s Classical School, Meath
- Ciaran Browne – De La Salle College, Louth
- Aisling Lawrence – The Institute of Education, Dublin
- Karen Meehan – Loreto Secondary School, Tipperary
- Ronan Murphy – Moate Community School, Westmeath
- Edward Clarke – Marist College, Westmeath
- Zoe Ellingboe – Malahide Community School, Dublin
- Finn Morrissey – Ard Scoil Rís, Limerick
- Séan Fitzgerald – Castletroy College, Limerick
- Fiona Mc Anespie – Ardee Community School, Louth
- Zara Wadding – St. Vincent’s Secondary School, Louth
BRONZE MEDAL WINNERS
- Daniel O’Sullivan – St. Brendan’s College, Kerry CHEMISTRY
- Emma Urquhart – Presentation College Athenry, Galway CHEMISTRY
- Emma Beashel – St. Gerard’s, Wicklow BIOLOGY
- Rachel Price – Wesley College, Dublin BIOLOGY
- Conal Bonar – St. Eunan’s College, Donegal PHYSICS
- Laura Cosgrave – Midleton College, Cork PHYSICS
SILVER MEDAL WINNERS
- Conor Boylan – St. Mary’s CBS Enniscorthy, Wexford CHEMISTRY
- Donal Mc Guinness – St. Declan’s College, Dublin BIOLOGY
- David Conneely – St. Joseph’s Patrician College, Galway PHYSICS
Silver Medal Winners with IrEUSO Scientific Committee
GOLD MEDAL WINNERS
- Yuelin Mandy Xiong – Alexandra College, Dublin CHEMISTRY
- Keshav Nagar – Colaiste An Spioraid Naoimh Cork, Cork BIOLOGY
- Alex Hanley – Lucan Community College, Dublin PHYSICS
Gold Medal Winners
Gold Medal Winners with IrEUSO Scientific Committee
All Medal Winners
All Medal Winners with IrEUSO Scientific Committee
All medal winners will be invited to participate in Practical Training in February/March and after a further assessment, the top six (6) students will be selected to represent Ireland at the EUSO 2018 (28th April – 5th May) in Ljubljana, Slovenia.
Dr. Odilla Finlayson – Olympiad coordinator and EUSO Delegation Leader
Dr. Pat O’Malley – CASTeL, School of Chemical Sciences, DCU
Dr. Paul van Kampen – CASTeL, School of Physical Sciences, DCU
Dr. Christine Loscher, Health Technologies and the Healthy Ageing Society Hub
Irish EUSO Delegation Leader
Phone: 01 700 5409
Fax: 01 700 5503