The Irish Chemistry Olympiad (IChO) is a competition for Irish students in the final year of second level education who are under twenty on December 31st in the year of the competition. It is held annually in Dublin City University (DCU). Students from Northern Ireland (NI) and the Republic of Ireland (RoI) are invited to take part in the competition.
2017 Irish Competition
IChO 2017 was held on the 1st. April 2017. Application forms were emailed to school principals and each school was invited to nominate up to two of the most enthusiastic and keenest students in the school in chemistry. Over 130 students attended this year’s IChO competition.
List of Finalists
The list of accepted registrations for the IChO 2017 competition is posted here at Finalists for IChO 2017.
- Yan Li, St. Andrew’s College Dublin
- Clíona Mcmahon, Holy Faith Clontarf
- Jack Murphy, CBS Charleville
- Cathal Hosty, Ballyhaunis Community School
- James McGinley, St Columb’s College
- Conor Cudden, Christian Brothers College Cork
- Cal Franklin, St. Augustine’s College
- Ciara Browne, Carrigaline Community School
- Michael Hong (Gold medal NI), Methodist College Belfast
- Darragh Glynn (Gold medal ROI), St. Paul’s College
- Diarmuid O’Donoghue (Silver medal ROI), Ashton School
- Alicia Huntley (Silver medal NI), Regent House School
- Julian Carolan (Bronze medal), Catholic University School
- Aaron Hannon (Bronze medal), St Muredach’s College
- Joseph Wickham (Bronze medal), St Peter’s College, Wexford
- David McMahon (Bronze medal), Coláiste Choilm
Medal winners and highly commended participants were invited to attend further training during the Easter break, after which the team was selected.
Irish Delegation for International Chemistry Olympiad 2017
The team to represent Ireland at the 49th International Chemistry Olympiad (IChO) 2017 in Nakhon Pathom, Thailand was:
- Aaron Hannon, St Muredach’s College, Ballina, Co. Mayo
- Alicia Huntley, Regent House School, Newtownards, Co.Down
- Diarmuid O’Donoghue, Ashton School, Blackrock Road, Cork
- Michael Yuan Hong, Methodist College, Malone Road, Belfast
The team was accompanied by the Ireland Mentors, Dr Cormac Quigley (GMIT) and Asst Professor Mercedes Vasquez (DCU).
Success at International Chemistry Olympiad
Three members of Team Ireland were awarded Bronze medals at the 49th International Chemistry Olympiad in Thailand.